Before you start styling your off-the-shoulder silhouette keep the following rules in mind when wearing one:
- No bra lines – strapless is the way to go
- Forget about silicone straps – has to be none at all!
- Opt for the designs with the depth of cut you are more comfortable wearing, it’s your confidence that will leave a lasting impression
- Think alternative styles if the thought of some lack of support stops you from wearing a traditional off-the-shoulder: variations with cut-out shoulders, additional straps/strings that hold the garment in place, layering especially with shirts
- You can never go wrong accessorising this revealing style with statement earrings – the bigger the better (make sure you avoid other jewellery in the immediate vicinity i.e. necklaces, pendants, chokers etc.)
This shoulder baring notion is rather straight forward when it comes to eveningwear: sexy high-octane looks that are perfect for after dark, but daywear styling might prove to cause some difficulty.
The feminine elegance of the off-shoulder dress is undeniable. Channel the beach vibe with extra wide brim straw hat, laced gladiators, tassel earrings and tropical inspired accessories.
Pop of Colour
Black figure-hugging off-shoulder models are perfect for cocktail hour, incorporate them into your daywear to elevate your casual looks. Add metallic shoes, relaxed culottes and geometric accessories (silver slides, sequinned pants, clutch and a chunky bangle) and for a pop of colour – a bright cover-up – though it’s spring already, it is not warm enough to lose a coat altogether.
Offset the stunning voluminous sleeves with a slimming pair of flared jeans – legs for days for everyone!
Dreaming of Summer
The off-shoulder tops and dresses come in print as well. This floral beauty with ruffled top and cuffs works great with a neutral pair of shorts (clashing florals and subtle stripes here). Opt for a summery boater straw hat and try accessories in complimenting colour palette. When it comes to shoes, you have a range of styles to pick from: espadrilles, wedges, lace-up flats or platform sandals with a chunky heel.
Skirt: Variation #1
It was hard to decide which look I like better, hence here are both of them – very similar but with slight variations. Styling an off-the-shoulder (low cut – down to your arm crease) white ruffle top.
Floral print is irresistible and so ladylike combined with this style of top and cat-eye sunglasses it’s asking for a balancing component – geometry: earrings, fringed bag and denim pared-back laced-up flatforms.
Skirt: Variation #2
Another option for refined chic is a high-waist close-cut mermaid design skirt in denim paired with red laced stiletto sandal and large flower earrings. Offset this dainty look with some classic shades in tort and a square crossbody bag.
Though the idea behind both looks is the same, it’s a matter of deciding on the style of the elements.
by Olga Permyakova
Photos: Felik Wong